Using power generated by a dam across Rock Creek, a mill was established north and west of West Point in the 1860s. As the mill continued, people began to make their homes north of the river and a post office named “Rock Creek” was established.
A.D. Beemer, who owned a half section of land near Rock Creek Mill, persuaded George Canfield and K.C. Morehouse of West Point to join him in developing this land.
Assured by the railroad that it would be taking a route through it, the three men helped lay out a town and built a depot. A new post office was built and renamed “Beemer” in honor of the promoter and founder of the town.
Since growth with the railroad was imminent in 1885, Beemer further invested in the town by building a hotel, a newspaper office, a bank, and a livery stable.
Beemer, a prosperous farming community, supported several factories (one for canning and one for making plows) by the 1890s and continues to grow through the 21st century.